The lovely people at Foods Unearthed are compiling recipes from 193 countries and we sent them Makalo to represent Macedonia. A garlicky meze made from mashed potatoes and dry peppers topped with hot crushed peppers heated briefly in olive oil. We enjoy this as a meze item spread on rustic bread or as a side serving for chicken or fish.
- 20 dry red peppers
- 1kg Russet potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 250ml water
- 1 tbsp hot crushed peppers
- First boil 20 dry red peppers in water together with the potatoes
- Then smash the 4 cloves of garlic in the pestle and mortar
- Take a spoon and scoop the flesh from the peppers and put it in with the garlic
- Peel the potatoes and smash them also in the mortar with the peppers and garlic
- Take the same hot water you were using to boil the peppers/potatoes and add 250ml in with the tomato puree and pour that over the potatoes
- Season to taste
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil and add 1 tbsp of hot crushed peppers. Pour it over the rest of the mashed ingredients
- Mix it together and serve it as a meze item or with meat or fish!
Remember... no eating, no meeting!